As educational “gatekeepers”, college admissions professionals hold the most responsibility in removing barriers to post-secondary education; everyone in this work has a role to play.
Our Mission: ACCEPT empowers college admissions professionals who seek to center anti-racism, equity and justice in our work and communities.
Our Vision: ACCEPT will lead the college admissions profession in creating an equitable, just, and anti-racist path to post-secondary education.
- Responsibility – As educational “gatekeepers”, we hold the most responsibility in removing barriers to post-secondary education; everyone in the college admissions profession has a role to play.
- Safe Discomfort – We understand the difference between uncomfortable and unsafe. Sitting with discomfort is an important and valuable opportunity for growth, and we will protect the safety of our community.
- Focus – We center and amplify the voices of communities marginalized in secondary and post-secondary education.
- Action – As accomplices, we must act with boldness and courage.
- Accountability – We hold ourselves and each other, individually and institutionally, accountable for the impact of our actions, inactions, and words in order to grow, not shame.
- Humility – By minimizing power differentials, valuing voices and experiences unlike our own, admitting mistakes, and apologizing without expectations, we reduce privilege in our own space.
- Continuous Learning – Instead of the pursuit of competency and fluency, we acknowledge that the work of attending to the intersectional needs of communities demands ongoing practice.
- Transformation – By building an equity-centered professional community and practice, we will transform our educational institutions.